Field Hockey | 17 Sep 2022 19:12:00
Oneonta, New York – The Hawks scored early and frequently en route to a 7-2 rout of the visiting St. John Fisher Cardinals in both teams’ Empire 8 openers. The loss broke his 24-game winning streak record for St John Fisher against his E8 in the regular season in his league, dating back to 2018.
- Final Score: Hartwick 7, St. John Fisher 2
- position: Oneonta, New York
- record: Hartwick (2-3, 1-0 E8), St John Fisher (0-5, 0-1 E8)
What you need to know
- Holly Kaloor (Rocky Point, NY) redirected Julie Lutzi’s (High Falls, NY) shot from the top of the circle to the back of the cage to jump-start the Hawks’ offense for the second straight game.
- Sidney Gagnon (Chestertown, NY) picked up the first goal of the game thanks to Leah Torrey (Pittsford, NY) holding a rebound off the goalkeeper’s pad and finding Gagneon at the left post of goal. .
- St John Fisher fought back and scored with no time remaining in the first quarter.
- Gagnon struck again with just over a minute left in half-time when he went on a breakaway for his second goal of the game.
- Gagnon picked up where he left off, putting away his third goal of the game and the Hawks’ fourth just over two minutes into the second half. Luzzi picked up the assist after letting Gagnon slip the pass.
- Libby Fortin (State College, Pennsylvania) gave Hartwick a 5-1 advantage and dismissed a penalty stroke.
- After assisting in two tallies, Luzzi found the back of the cage with a blast from the top of the circle 30 seconds before the end of the third quarter.
- Rounding out Hartwick’s scoring was Jessica Betts (South Glens Falls, NY) tapping inside the left post on a lift pass from Ashley Tricarico (Hopewell Junction, NY).
- St. John Fisher scored a second late in the fourth quarter, but it didn’t matter as the Hawks finished the game with a 7-2 win.
What’s next for the Hawks
Hartwick will take a short break from playing Empire 8 and travel to Union for a mid-week contest on Wednesday, September 21st at 6pm.